The following instructions will guide you through the CSR generation process on Microsoft IIS 10. To learn more about CSRs and the importance of your private key, reference our Overview of Certificate Signing Request article. If you already generated the CSR and received your trusted SSL certificate, reference our IIS 10 SSL Installation Instructions and disregard the steps below.
1. Access Server in IIS
Launch IIS Manager and click the server name in the Connections menu on the left.
2. Access Server Certificates Manager
On the Home page for the server, locate the IIS section in the center window and double-click Server Certificates. The Server Certificates control panel will open in the center window.
3. Create Certificate Request
In the right-side Actions menu, click Create Certificate Request… The Request Certificate wizard will open in a new window.
Fill out the Distinguished Name Properties:
- Common name: Must be a fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) like “domain.com”.
- Organization: Your organization’s legal name. If you do not have a company or organization, you can put another name or N/A here.
- Organizational unit: Your department within your organization. If you do not have an organization, put N/A.
- City/locality: Your city.
- State/province: Your state or region. This information must not be abbreviated, for example you must use “Florida” instead of “FL”.
- Country: Your country (select from drop-down list).
Click Next when you are ready to proceed.
4. Cryptographic Service Provider Properties
On the Cryptographic Service Provider Properties page, select the following options from the drop-down menus:
- Cryptographic service provider: Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider
- Bit length: 2048
These are the standard options, but you may be able to select different options if needed.
5. File Name
On the File Name page, click the … box to specify a name and location to save your CSR file. The default directory is C:\Windows\System32. Click Finish when you are ready.
6. Locate CSR on your system
Navigate to the directory where you saved your CSR file and open the CSR in Notepad or your preferred text editor.
7. Generate your SSL Certificate
Return to the Generation Form on our website and paste the entire CSR into the blank text box. Then, proceed with the remainder of the order form and submit when you are ready. You should receive a vendor order ID number, and your certificate will enter the Validation process.
After you complete the validation process and receive the trusted SSL Certificate from the issuing Certificate Authority (CA), proceed with the next step using our SSL Installation Instructions for Microsoft IIS 10.